John Page Organs logo  John Page Organs

Restoration of a Chamber Organ

Wind supply system

Above: Before and after pictures of the blower’s control valve assembly. This allows wind to blow into the reservoir until it is full, then shuts off, preventing over-fill. Left: Showing the inlet valve from the blower and the outlet hole into the reservoir. Centre: Showing the crude arrangement of screw-eyes being used as pulleys. The cord used to be connected to the reservoir top but had long-since been worn through, and was lying in disarray on the floor under the organ.Right: I `fitter proped pulleys made from small pieces of dowelling running on phosphor-bronze bearings. In order to gain access to these pieces, it was necessary to move the remaining organ framework.

At this time the reservoir was inspected for soundness of leather, and as most of the leather was good and supple I decided to patch a few splits (above left) rather than take the whole assembly apart and replace all leather – an expensive job. It should continue without trouble for many years to come. One additional job was needed – the re-leathering and re-mounting of the spill (safety) valve. Its (three) springs had almost rusted through so I replaced them by a single phosphor-bronze spring (above right).

At this point I decided to level the frame so the organ would be really “horizontal” instead of leaning towards the window. This entailed raising the right-hand side about 10mm and standing it on blocks.

Next page Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7